Universal Account number (UAN) for the provident fund has eased a lot of our hassles. It has made PF transfer process a breeze and soon PF withdrawal would be also very easy. It is already helping a lot of people. You must use this number for PF updates and automatic PF transfer.
New System of Universal Account Number (UAN)
Finally, EPFO has realized our problem. It understands that every employee needs a unique PF number which should independent of the employer. Henceforth, EPFO gives a unique number to every worker of organized sector once in a lifetime. The Universal account number is a 12 digit number. UAN does not change in a lifetime. You can change many jobs, but this number will be with you. This number would not replace current PF number. Rather, it would be an additional number. The PF number(s) would be linked to the UAN. Every employee gets the universal account number. Even currently unemployed can also get the UAN. Fortunately, for the UAN you don’t need the employer. If your employer didn’t tell you the universal account number. You can get UAN online. EPFO is trying hard to establish a direct connection with employee and reduce the role of employer. You must be aware of the high handedness of many employers, because of the PF key. Within six months EPFO has successfully allotted the UAN to all the current employees. Now it has given this facility to the trust PF members and unemployed PF members. We will highly recommend that one should get his UAN number if he had the PF member ID.
Features of Universal Account Number
- An employee will get only one universal account number
- You will have same UAN in different jobs within the country
- Change jobs as much as you want the EPF will follow you.
- This number would be attached to your identity.
- The KYC documents would be used for authentication of the universal account number.
- The EPFO portal will issue the UAN. Employers will give these to the employees.
10 Benefits Of Universal Account Number (UAN) To The Employee
- You can link all of your previous PF accounts at one place.
- EPF Transfer would become very easy. It can be done automatically.
- EPF balance from all of the account would be transferred automatically.
- You can easily check and download your PF passbook any time.
- The employer could not blackmail you because of the EPF. He would not be able to withhold the PF of an employee.
- In future, there would be no need of verification from the employer at the time of PF withdrawal or transfer.
- An employer can’t withhold the provident fund of the employee.
- You can easily take a loan from the PF account. The process would be online soon.
- You can update your personal details online.
- You will get monthly SMS update of PF contribution. You will get to know whether your company is depositing PF on time or not.
- There are many companies which delay in EPF contribution.
How EPFO Give Universal Account Number:- Steps For Existing Employee
- EPFO itself has allotted the universal account number of all the contributing members.
- Employers download these universal account numbers of its employees.
- EPFO has directed the employer to tell the new universal account number to every employee.
- The further employer would upload KYC details of the employee.
- An employee can also upload his KYC. The employer needs to verify it.
Steps For New Employee
- The employer submits the first PF contribution of new employees.
- These new members without UAN will be intimated to the employer through the OTCP (Online transfer claim portal).
- The employer has to fill the details of these new employees in the OTCP. The employer would also fill UAN of the employee if he has any.
- If the employee doesn’t have UAN previously, then the employer can generate the new UAN for him through the portal.
- If the employee has the UAN, then the employer has to verify it from the previous employment. The new employer can view the details of previous employment through the OTCP using UAN. After verification of personal detail, the employer approves existing UAN for the employee.
- In the next step, employer uploads the copy of KYC documents.
- Know UAN at The EPFO Portal
- Initially, EPFO has entrusted employers to distribute the UAN to its employee. But, for some obvious reason, most of the employers did not tell UAN to its employees. Therefore, despite allotting UAN to 5 crore employees, only a few lakhs people registered at UAN portal. While UAN portal gives you the direct link to your PF account. Now, EPFO gives you the facility to know your UAN online. You should get you UAN and register at UAN portal. After the registration, you must upload KYC documents. This will be very beneficial in future.
What About Old PF account?
There are more than 6 crores inoperative PF accounts. Rs 26,000 Crore is lying in these accounts. The UAN will also solve this problem. At the UAN portal, you can easily link your previous PF accounts. If you KYC details match with the old PF accounts, the linking will complete within a month.
Facilities at UAN Member Portal
1.You can check your UAN allotment status.
2.You don’t need to check the PF balance through SMS. You can download/print your EPF passbook anytime.
3.You can download/print your UAN card.
4.You can link all your previous PF accounts with UAN. The name should be same.
5.You can file PF transfer or withdrawal claim online.
6.You can view the status of PF claim online.
7.You can update your KYC.
How To Register At UAN Member Portal?
Any employee can register himself in the UAN member portal. But before that, you must have UAN with you. If you don’t have one, you can get it from the same portal. During the process of getting your UAN, the registration is done automatically. Once you register with UAN, you can enjoy the benefits listed above.
To know more about factoHR – HR & Payroll software, please contact +91 782 000 3100 or visit www.factohr.com