What Are Employee Relations?
Employee relations are creating, practicing, and maintaining a positive relationship between the employee and the organization. The organization puts in a lot of effort to maintain such relations to enhance employee engagement and loyalty in the workplace.
Let's understand it better with an example:
- Imagine a scenario in an office where a conflict arises between two employees.
- Both the employees had work-related disputes and argued with each other.
- The argument increased, and one of the employees gave a resignation letter.
- When the reporting manager and HR manager knew about this, they immediately arranged a meeting with both the employees.
- The manager and HR listened to both viewpoints and tried to resolve the issue.
- Clearing the misunderstandings and communicating effectively solved the issue, and the employee took his resignation back.
Role of HRM in Employee Relations
Human resource management makes several efforts for employee loyalty and for retaining the best talents. However, besides the usual HR activities, they also have to look after the employee relations and their well-being. In this regard, the HR manager plays a crucial role in 2 aspects. Firstly, creating appropriate and fair policies for everyone at the workplace. And secondly, preventing or resolving the disputes between employees or with management.
Employees spend ample time at work in a day, and if the work environment is not appropriate, it might discourage them from working. Therefore HRM needs to build a culture and environment that takes disciplinary actions, resolves disputes, and engages and motivates the employees.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different types of employee relations?
Employee relations in an organization can be broadly classified into two:
- Vertical: relations that are based on hierarchy. i.e., from superior managers to employees.
- Horizontal: relations between the same level of people. i.e., relations between employees and teams.
What are the perks of having good employee relations?
- Improved Organizational Culture
- Reduced Conflicts
- Better Employee Engagement
- Increased Motivation and Work Productivity
- Employee Retention
What are the strategies to improve relations with employees?
- Frame and set policies well
- Communicate to avoid misunderstandings
- Always take and give feedback
- Find ways to engage employees
- Resolve issues on time